- Where can I find tutorials, guides and references?
- I'm having some trouble installing or running the game.
- If you launch the game and nothing happens or some error shows, it is highly probable that there is something wrong with your installation. Any package contains at least of the executable and a graphics package. For information about how to install Simutrans on Windows, Linux, Haiku or Mac and common problems in the installation, check our wiki article.
- What's a pakset (graphics package) and their differences?
- Simutrans is a modular game. That means that the program itself is separate from the game data. This makes Simutrans very flexible. A 'pakset' is what we call the data set that Simutrans needs to run: it contains all the data for the graphics, the individual items (vehicles, roads, railways, buildings, etc.) and all of the balancing information (such as prices, speeds, capacities and so forth) necessary to make the game complete.
They are called 'paksets' because all the files are packed (compressed) to save space. Some paksets are open source. Paksets also determine the size of the graphics used, this number is the height and width of one tile in pixels. This size generally is shown at the start of the pakset name, for instance pak64 have tiles with 64px, while pak128 have tiles with 128px. Some paksets don't show a number in their names, but they always state the size when describing the pak.
Simutrans has a large and growing number of paksets, many with specific themes such as Pak96.Comic or Pak128.Britain. To find more about Simutrans many individual paksets, see Paksets.
- Which is the standard pakset of Simutrans?
- Simutrans is not bound to a specific scenario data; you can choose the paksets you want. But Simutrans development team considers Pak64 as the main and a base set for Simutrans, developed along with Simutrans executable.
Pak64 always contains the most recent features and was the first to be developed. Currently Simutrans is being available in ready-to-play version with this pakset.
- Why do features in pak128 or other pakset lag behind pak64?
- Pak64 is considered as the main and base pakset, all the latest features that are incorporate when a version of Simutrans is released gets incorporated in pak64 before any other pakset.
Pak128, and other paksets, has to wait for new features to be released before being able to incorporate them. Therefore, there can be a delay sometimes. Also each pakset have its update speed.
- Where can I ask for more help?
- If you can't find enough help you can always ask for it in our forum.
- I think I have discovered a Bug!
- Simutrans is in constant development and you may have found a bug. For info about where and how to report, please go to Bug Report.
- Which are the differences between Simutrans and OpenTTD?
- There are a number of differences between Simutrans and OpenTTD. The people developing Simutrans focus on different tasks. If you are coming to Simutrans from OpenTTD check our wiki article with the most notable differences.
- Can I use the addons made for one pakset in other?
- No and Yes. There are three main things that lead to an incompatible addon:
- If the addon is made for a different pakset size it will run, but the graphics won't show right, an addon made for a pakset with size 64 will properly work only in other paksets with same size.
- Even if the addon have the right pak size, it may be incompatible because it uses some parameters that only a specific pakset have, like goods and measures.
- Each pakset have its own style and sometimes the addon won't fit the pakset style.
- How do I extract a PAK file?
- The PAK file was created to protect the rights of the creator of the file. It was designed specifically not to be unpack-able for that reason.
However, take heart! If you can find the original creator, most of the time they would send you some sort of source if they still have it (but if they do not, that is their firm right).